View Single Post
Old 09-12-2001, 06:15 PM   #21
Bill D
Good story.

As I remember, in the original scenario, the victim was confronted with one attacker in his room and another in the other room, which would preclude using multiple-attacker tactics (although I would like to point out that they are, indeed, effective, and are in fact one of the strengths of Aikido compared to other martial arts. That's why they're on our shodan test). I suggest taking a page out of more traditional self-defense and police advice, which tells us that most people who break into others' homes at night are cowards. If the first attacker doesn't run away as soon as he sees you awake, which may be unlikely, you should use your Aikido training with him. DO NOT seriously maim him, not only because it's against our spirit, but also because then neither him nor his friend would be able to escape easily, and you should NEVER leave them without an escape route.

Once you demonstrate to these people that you are prepared to defend yourself, I am almost willing to give you a personal guarantee that they will leave immediately, as they are just looking to steal things, not kill anyone or get into a hostage situation.

In any case, do not get into a physical fight with the second attacker, or with both of them, or even with the first one, for that matter, unless absolutely necessary and unless forced to by them. And don't try to injure them so they can't get away. These are Aikido principles that you should keep in mind before even considering sankyo or anything else, and are the advice of all self-defense professionals.

Also, I think the original poster mentioned that he/she is a beginner. Train A LOT more before you feel confident taking on determined attackers. Burgulars will most likely run away quickly anyway.