View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany
Re: Request for reviews

Hi

If one likes his aikido I recommend the DVDs of Endo Seishiro Shihan.

I am not sure wether this is ok, because in most german forums "product placement" isn't allowed.
But I earn nothing. I'm just a "believer" as someone in this forum stated recently.

There are three DVDs showing the basics:

One DVD is showing just his kihon waza. During seminars Endo sensei doesn't practice much technique or kihon, so here you can see how he interpretes the kihon of aikido.

One DVD shows his concept of contact and blending: atari and musubi. Exercises, created to learn what happens between shite and aite.

The other one shows the entrances to the different attacks and how to move your partner (even if he/she doesn't want to): sabaki and tsukai.

Then there are three DVDs which show his way of aikido by reflecting his seminars.

The first one "Seminar in Washington, D.C." was recorded at a seminar in October 2007 hosted by Capital Aikikai in Washington DC.
The abstract says: "Recorded throughout the weekend, this DVD features Endo sensei's teachings introducing his core concepts. The emphases on softness, atari (engagement, connection) and self-awareness can be seen in his explanations and demonstrations with various partners. The presentation moves from principle-centered exercises to more standard aikido attacks and techniques."

The second one "Stillness and Movement as One and Two-Attacker Practice" shows his actual themes: How to becom calm and how to deal with two opponents.
I visited his seminar some weeks ago and this DVD really captured, what I experienced.

The third one will come in July: "Katatedori. Basic Practice Methods"

The DVDs are linked together and espacially the seminar DVDs to the basic ones by tags which are displayed for reference to corresponding chapters on the basic DVDs.

I see Endo very seldom, just once a year an I was wondering this yeat wether what I learn from the DVDs would correspond what he really teaches in his seminar. It does.
They are so well arranged that it really works to learn from them.

And you can look them like a movie.

Carsten

Last edited by Carsten Möllering : 06-25-2009 at 12:21 PM.