View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #78
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Yoshinkan and "aiki"

Quote:
Niall Matthews wrote: View Post
Thanks David, that's interesting. I haven't trained in Daito Ryu and I had never heard aiki used like that and noone I asked had either.
Conversations with Daito Ryu Masters (Aikido Journal publication) is a fantastically interesting book that looks back to before aikido existed. It gets to the roots of what Ueshiba was doing and shows how other men developed great power from those roots.

And I think it's especially important to recognize that the Tohei/Kisshomaru (especially Kisshomaru) aikido went off in a very different direction, essentially snipping off the roots entirely. Stan Pranin once showed me a photograph of Morihei Ueshiba seated in front of a scroll that read "Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu" along with an aikikai publication with the very same photograph that read "Aikijujutsu". Someone had very skillfully deleted the words "daito ryu" from the scroll.

So did modern aikido delete anything else from the art?

Research indicates that it did.

And while we're on the topic of books, you should really look at "Hidden in Plain Sight" to see how deeply IS practices are really rooted in TMA. It's the modern form of "TMA" that's really not so traditional at all.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com