Thread: Vantage points
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #123
Jim Sorrentino

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia, Aikido Shobukan Dojo
Re: Vantage points

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
I thought the startling fact that almost 100% of the teachers exposed to this work change and adopt it would be the....single....most compelling talking point to help bring the discussion forward.

The above statement has never been fully addressed. Chris Hein decided to tell us that he knows some people who thought the work (in this case, mine) was nothing special. Fine by me. I never said 100%. What he still doesn't address is the other 99%, or that fact that his "people" still failed to demonstrate unusual power...face to face. Why can I say that? Because I would have remembered them. They would have been different.
I'll add one "data point" to Chris Hein's. Peter Bernath, a USAF 7th dan and shihan, has attended at least one workshop with Dan. As it happens, I have a friend who is a very well-seasoned 2nd dan in the USAF and who attends many of the major USAF seminars on the east coast. My friend has taken many classes with Mr. Bernath over the past ten years, and has taken ukemi for Mr. Bernath as well.

My friend most recently trained with Mr. Bernath in November 2012 at the USAF Winter Camp in Florida. When my friend returned from Winter Camp, I asked him whether Mr. Bernath had changed the form or substance of his classes, or made any reference to IP in those classes. The answer was no.

I've left my friend's name out of this discussion because he is not a member of AikiWeb. If anyone would like to contact him to verify his account, please PM me and I will put you in touch.

Jim

I mistrust all systematizers and I avoid them. The will to a system is a lack of integrity. Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols