View Single Post
Old 09-20-2008, 05:26 AM   #67
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom
Re: Christian Tissier: Ukemi

Quote:
Jonathan Olson wrote: View Post
...My ideal aikido, which may or may not be achievable, is full contact and full speed but nobody gets hurt. I'm not quite sure how you achieve that, but fear based effectiveness is definitely not it. If nage can't throw uke without injuring him, he should stop and try again, even at high speed with uke resisting.
Nice post Jonathan, great points you make.
Surely a great part of aikido is not trainable at full contact and full speed without cooperation or delusion. Hence the COOPERATIVE nature of almost all aikido practice. Surely it is fine to train this way?

One example : kote gaeshi ... to my mind this technique, aikido style, when fully applied with force and speed to a non-conforming non-anticipatory non-aikido 'attacker' who hasn't trained months/years to achieve very tough joints ... will result in injury or failure. One or the other. (It would NEVER result in a somersault in my opinion.)
I believe this is the intention of most aikido thechniques. The techniques themselves are only able to scrape into the 'non injurious' happy area when either : the uke predicts/anticipates to save himself OR the technique fails but the uke acts as if it succeeds.
Oh by the way, I don't believe Ueshiba ever intended his aikido to be non-injurious.

(Ikkyo I believe is ikkyo for a few reasons, not the least of which it is able to be practiced by newbies without the cooperate-or-break mindset required by a lot of the later techniques)