View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #22
"sad_robert"
IP Hash: 28eb6b2c
Anonymous User
Re: Master/slave relationship and Instructor with ego

Wow...there is a lot of information here to digest. Once again, I would like to thank everyone who shared their thoughts. In particular, I would like to thank Amir and Jorge for their in-depth replies.

In honesty there are some points which I don't agree with, but I decided against posting a rebuttal, which would probably result in a lot of back-and-forth banter.

Overall, in terms of resolving the issue it seems pretty obvious that I have to voice my opinion the next time I feel that a sempai has crossed the line from teacher to master. If he/she takes offense to my 'defiance', and if after consulting sensei no positive resolution has been achieved, I will have to search for a new dojo.

While I said I wouldn't rebut any of the comments made, I can't help make two points.

- It seems some people are trying walk this very thin tightrope between submission and respect. To me, the conclusion almost seems to be: yes, you should be submissive, but because of the constraints posed by the Western, modern world, we have to slightly modify the definition of what submissiveness is. I don't want to get into a debate about semantics - all I know is I should never feel intimidated by my instructor.

- I don't appreciate the idea of not being able to change the dojo, particularly when the issue revolves around a sole person who is not the sensei. Everyone is fallible, even instructors. The idea that they are above reproach, that their egos are too large to concede that there is room for improvement, seems highly ironic. Moreover, this seems like a very corrosive lesson when applied to other facets of life outside of the dojo.