View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 02:46 AM   #10
Alec Corper

Dojo: Itten Suginami Dojo, Nunspeet
Netherlands
Re: Connection with the ground, Rooting, etc

Quote:
Rupert Atkinson wrote: View Post
For ground, myself, my basic movement exercises demand one thing - that there be a constant line of power from foot to hand at all times when moving. If you can't move like that, there will be hiccups in your power delivery (if you don't like the word power - think - kokyu).

Once you have an idea for that, try to put the same movement in your techniques. When I observe others, even Sensei, I see hiccups / interruptions ... all over the place.

And before you say - I'm doing that already - test it out while thinking about it.

Incidentally, I once showed someone, and then later, I was on a seminar he was doing, and he was trying to show the same thing, and was not doing it himself. And he came over to me and tried to show me how to do it. This has happened a few times with different ideas I have had - bizarre what! People are messed up with ego.
i agree Rupert, how do you train that line? Mentally through visualisation. imagination line of sight?
Physically through throwing hands at the ground. Do you split power towards centre and skeletal structure alignment ? D you think feet to hands or hands to feet and back again? Are you heavy at the point of contact or does it remain in your body until emptiness emerges in your partner/opponent?
It is funny that a lot of guys in boxing who have knockout power are also more easily knocked out. Heavy hands-heavy root? The management of yin/yang, ( in/yo ) seems to play a vital role in this. perhaps root and centre should be everywhere and not localised?

If your temper rises withdraw your hand, if your hand rises withdraw your temper.