View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007, 09:21 AM   #19
Karol Kowalczyk

Poland
Re: If you could buy just ONE book about the spiritual side of Aikido, what would it

Thank you all so far for your suggestions.

To respond to some of your comments (if that's at all necessary):

I feel like I have opened up a 'can of worms', there are so many suggestions I think I would need a whole new lifetime to go through them all! However, I will not limit myself to only one book if I get the chance to buy others, the one was just a starting point, for the 2 months I have to spend away from the dojo, and I know the spiritual side is best developed there rather than from a text (oh yeah, and also in real life too, i guess ).

I am well aware the question was not an easy one to answer, as all questions about the spirit probably would be, but I guess I have fallen into the 'commercial' trap of thinking that there could be a 'definitive' book about it all, kind of the "All you ever wanted to know about the spiritual side of aikido but were afraid to ask'

I also notice that almost everyone has their own 'favourite', more so than for the other thread I made about the techical side, so as to how Im going to choose in the end, well...I will follow my feelings of course, and some of the suggestions here have been repeated in my other thread about the techniques of aikido, so maybe I can get a good 'two for the price of one' deal . But ultimately, I dont have access to large bookshops, or well stocked libraries where I am, and I also have the problem that I live in Poland, and want to read the books in English, but when I go to visit mummy in England, I will be limited by what the bookshops have, or what they can order.

Thank you all again for your suggestions, and I hope others will still post their suggestions if they havent done so yet!