View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 05:55 PM   #167
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Using ki-skills for "aiki" in Daito-Ryu

Quote:
Richard Haight wrote: View Post
I am not so sure we are actually saying such different things now, if that is what you are referring to as basic principles. If that is what you are referring to as basic principles, then I am in fact in agreement with you.
OK.
Quote:

Where the differences lie (I will leave out any teacher's names here because this may well be breaching my promise) is in things like the following example: of the 5 schools I have mentioned so far, 2 train and stress "breath power", and three say that "breath power" is not a part of IT and have no training in kokyu-ho. This is just one of a few distinctions that I have seen and heard about from the teachers. Is not breath power a principle in your book?
Well, I'm not sure what "breath power" you mean. That's part of the point of the discussion. Can you tell me what you mean by "breath power"? And then I can tell you what I mean by "breath power" and then we begin to get a commonality of terms, more people get into the discussion and at the very least the baseline discussion moves upward, which benefits the arts.

Best.

Mike Sigman