View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 05:41 PM   #358
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States
Re: Aikido™ and Aiki…do. Where are we at?

Well, I agree; when I used the term shut down I was talking about what I could do before I met Dan and started working on aiki directly (and I'm willing to believe you can do such things too).

Here are 2 quotes from Dan on a different thread that seem to relate to your question:

Quote:
I think managing opposing forces and lines in your body, makes the addition of their force just an 'addition" to the forces you are already managing. This is the "why" in why you don't feel you have to do much to manage them. The better and more efficient you become at it, the less you worry about their force. I think that is an easier way to "say it" or see what is happening. When they think they have you-you have them, sort of thing. This is of course, without starting to discuss enhanced manipulations of forces and directive forces. Zero balance or central equilibrium is just the start of some interesting fun down the road.
(The bold was added by me.)

and, more directly:

Quote:
As for Aiki power (internal power), it is the best way to express action with the body in virtually any fighting style known. Train the mind body first, the expression or art specific "action / tactic / strategy, come later. All that said, finding the ways and means to train the mind /body connection and to develop internal power, and then to learn to develop internal skill "in use” all happen before you should learn or try to fight with it. Your levels of "fighting” may lead to an ability to "not-fight" many people and handle their force expeditiously enough to be considered handling them without harm, but, I'd never-the-less hesitate to make it a declarative statement any time soon. There are hard men that could hand the best teachers in the world the fight of their lives.
Rob

Last edited by rob_liberti : 08-06-2008 at 05:43 PM.