View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #15
lbb
United_States
Re: training in the long haul

Quote:
Benjamin Edelen wrote: View Post
If you rely on what you do in the dojo to create the totality of the environment which will allow you to maximize your training life, you may be missing out on many wonderful things such as nutrition, general physical preparation, quality sleep, etc..
Yes, you see, that was my point, in response to your earlier comment:

"Every other athletic program in the world, including other Japanese gendai budo, use some form of strength and conditioning to prevent and rehabilitate injury, prolong active years, and create people who are more useful in general."

"Every other athletic program in the world" does not have something that I would call "conditioning". Speaking only from my own experience, not only is it not "the totality" of a fitness program, it isn't even a decent nod in that direction.

Quote:
Furthermore there are many, many budo dojo with integrated conditioning. Most Judo dojo have a warm-up that is more taxing than two hours of Aikido class, some koryu have serious conditioning built into their systems, and any dojo worth a damn needs to have a warm-up which provides for the most basic needs of its practitioners.
I'm willing to believe that such things exist, but I'd want to see the specifics of one of these programs before I agreed that it was "integrated conditioning". And I'd want to see numbers before I'd agree that "many, many budo dojo" have this.

Quote:
This kind of thing is pure common sense in my opinion.
No argument. I just don't think it's very common, and there's probably a good reason for that: conditioning, true conditioning, is both time-consuming and rather specific to the individual.