View Single Post
Old 10-19-2006, 09:20 AM   #9
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

Quote:
Wayne Wilson wrote:
However, the passing of Aikido lineage through Osensei's child Kisshomaru and grandson Moriteru, was a bad call in my opinion. With all due respect, neither of these guys' Aikido has ever been pointed to as even close to Osensei, or even Tohei or Tomiki. They are beaurocratic figureheads of the Aikikai organization, not top form Aikidoka.
I'm sure they can both kick my arse, but I would tend to agree. However, I'm not sure trying to point to what is 'true aikido' is useful. As Ueshiba said, aikido cannot be understood with words. I think people have to discover it for themselves and their teachers can only point the way. Some teachers are better for some students - but the worst student is the one who is blind and understands only one way of doing things. Yes, there is bullshit in the martial arts. Basically its up to our own judgement on what we feel is effective (as its us that will suffer the consequences!).

Its pointless saying 'my instructor is fantastic' or 'my style is the best', if you yourself are crap. We just have to be the best we can be; whether that means exploring other styles, of even other martial arts. The relationship to Budo and martial development must be the real test.... and we will argue over that for ever!

Last edited by ian : 10-19-2006 at 09:26 AM.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---