View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 12:09 AM   #26
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States
Re: my sensei "video clip"

Quote:
Now you're getting into the territory of peeing on my head and trying to convince me it's raining.
Well, being as your profile says you're in Seattle, in part, chances are it is raining eh?

Quote:
Sorry, but someone who is jumping up in the air and using the combined momentum of their fall and an exaggerated waist bend to accelerate their uke into the mat is not "pulling up".
With respect, I still don't see what you're talking about. Guess that's because I've been on the receiving end of such technique and have never been injured or knocked out. 25 years and counting.

Quote:
Saying that I see no purpose in accelerating uke into the mat like that other than to inflict harm is not the same as saying anyone who does that is trying to inflict harm.
I'll apologize in advance as I may be mis-understanding, but I believe you did say " I can see it appears to be for the express purpose of smacking his uke's head into the mat as hard as possible. Would that not suggest you are saying he is trying to purposely injure his uke?

Quote:
It could also be that they are doing it without (what I view as a legitimate) purpose, which I think is more likely.
Ummm ... it's a DEMO. Demo's typically are done in a manner different that basic practice, even in the Aikikai. Not to mention these are Mori Sensei's top students and chances are they've done this a million times and have practiced these demo's a million more times to prevent injury. It's called uke trusting shite and shite trusting uke.

Quote:
The fact that you and others, even if there are millions of them, think treating a cooperating uke this way is "normal" makes little difference to me, and does not make it safe or desireable.
Treating uke in what way? I didn't see uke complaining. In fact he kept getting up and attacking and has practiced for many years. I guess if you never practice like this and simply tank for your instructor, not that I"m saying you do that, then I guess I can see how you think this is not safe or desireable.

Quote:
One of my teachers flatly calls it "unethical" and I agree. There are plenty of striking arts that consider it "normal" to beat their hands forcefully on hard objects until they become barely mobile claws riddled with scar tissue. I don't think that's a good idea either.
... and mine say it just good training that makes a good demo while keeping both shite and uke safe. As for the "beat the hands forcibly on hard objects" not my cup of tea, to each his own.

I'll close and say again, accusing Mori Sensei of willfully and purposely trying to slam his uke's head on the mat, your words - see above, is just plain silly. Though I'm sure I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

I'm out .. good training to you -- and watch your head.