View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
Dave de Vos

Dojo: Shoryukai, Breda (aikikai) & Aiki-Budocentrum Breda (yoseikan)
Netherlands
Re: Looking for a training partner?

Quote:
Basia Halliop wrote: View Post
Hopefully people at your own dojo have training goals that are compatible with your own, no? It seems like you have a problem anyway if that's not the case.

Now when it comes to extra training, whether others have the same schedule as you and wish to do extra training when you do, of course that's not always obvious. And I guess the smaller your dojo probably the less likely it is.
Concerning training goals, I was thinking about a training partner outside of dojo hours. During dojo hours there are many different training partners, each with their own goals. That's great, I like the variation.

But if I were to train regularly outside of the dojo, with one particular training partner, I think it matters a lot more how compatible you are as persons and as training buddies. I would like to train with someone who likes to experiment and who likes to go slow. Preferably someone who is better than me and a person whose notion of aikido makes sense to me.

I could post a request on the facebook page of our aikido organization, but I'm hesitant to do so.