View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #36
Gary David

United_States
Re: The Empty Body

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
O.K. Chris. I am coming from understanding. I find the 'call you out' approach strange. I do so in life too, I usually smile at such things and walk away.

I suggest you study and practice some shin shin toitsu do, go to some classes and then come back to me and tell me about how they practice those principles, how they test them and use them.

Nothing to do with 'sources' , no argument.

Peace.G.
Graham
Chris Li comes from the Islands were Tohei was King for a long time. Most of the early Aikido folks that Chris learned from were Tohei trained........so Chris likely knows, has felt, has practiced, has been the principles that you talk to as your source at some time during his many years of training.

I took ukemi for Tohei Sensei more than once here in California when he came to our dojo to teach an even class for just the dojo. I have felt and trained with several of the instructors who came with him, some from Japan and others from Hawaii. Tohei was a very powerful individual, was like running into a wall, was like a moving solid sphere, his movement produced results from that turning sphere. It worked for him, it was very effective on us and none of the folks that came with him were like that.

I did all the ki exercises......I could do them at the level they were being presented and taught.......As I reflect back now I was not taught the steps needed to find motion in stillness or stillness in motion. I was not taught how to establish up and down...side to side or front to back stability. It was not presented. I was told to keep one point...not taught the steps to get there. I moved on.

It has only come to me lately as a gift that maintaing one point is really pulling out from center in all directions and learning how to maintain that. Solo practice with paired practice to check your progress.

It was never about Tohei not having something....rather it was about how it was passed along.

Just me.......fish or cut bait.....

Gary