View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #38
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States
Re: "Internal" and "External"

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
Waijia (external)- Develop the body to a high level. Make the body strong, fast, well conditioned, flexible and agile. Your body will become so powerful that little else needs to be known/practiced.

Neijia (internal) Don't worry about the physicality of the body, instead use the mind to perfect the way you use your body. You will not need powerful muscles if you use your body as efficiently as possible.

I would say this is a distinction only worth making in the beginning of training. As the article says, as time goes on you'll need both. This is the same with modern athletics, some people just make themselves stronger, some people just practice technique, but only those who excel in both become top level athletes.
Chris, you have selective filter on.

"If one practices Waijia, in the beginning one's good personal physical condition will bring more
obvious advantage than if from practicing Neijia. This is because Waijia follow natural ability or
the body's natural way of moving. But for Neijia practice, sometimes natural ability can just be a
disadvantage or hindrance to acquiring Neijia skill. This is why for beginners Waijia is much
easier than Neijia. When people attempt to advance from middle level to high level skill, even for
Waijia, the most important thing is internal training. For most people who have trained for a long
time in Waijia it will be difficult to catch up in the internal training. But for most middle level Neijia
people, it will be not too difficult. This is why many Waijia practitioners learn Neijia when they get
older. They know what they want but they feel their Waijia training is too difficult to achieve higher
level skill due to the decline in physical ability when one gets older. They want to use Neijia to help
themselves in this way. Also this is why many Neijia practitioner want to mix some Waijia skill in
the beginning of their training. They are worried that their beginning level Neijia skill is not good
enough for fighting."

why aged is a major factor in atheletes? why most atheletes retired in their 30s or earlier, if not then doping heavily? i mentioned one of the above post that old warriors don't intent to roll over and die when facing with younger, faster, and stronger. they liked to level the playing field a bit. i mentioned that i got bounced by Saotome sensei. He was 70s at the time and no he didn't get out of the way or using timing. read from the above quote on what happens to waijia folks when they get old. then look at Ueshiba, he handled all them young bucks when he was old, and one of them happened to be Saotome sensei.

question here is when most of your muscle are gone or when you passed by and into your 40s and not into doping, what will you do?

me, i am investing in old age.... and treachery!

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org