View Single Post
Old 02-08-2002, 09:58 AM   #3
Jappzz

Unhappy

Thanks for your answer ted!

But seriously: how cryptic can anybody be? I know that O-sensei kept a lot of stuff to him self for different reasons. But isn't it sad that what esoteric lectures he DID share should be considered "extra-curricular" information? I find it hard to belive that anyone would dissaprove of merely being handed this stuff as long as long as it didn't interfear with their ordinary classes. Im not saying that we should emphasize this or even discuss it regulary. But if there are theoretical values hidden in the teachings handed down to O-senseis students and they are never taught they will unevitable be lost. :-o

I think the idea of keeping aikido simple and practical to broaden our range of potential participants is good but should this principle be allowed to strip away stuff that according to me is as integral as anything alse in the art? I mean people ramble on about how reigi and other parts of budo has stopped mattering. Sure this could maybe be an issue, but to strip the art of parts of the actual teaching before the general public in the aikido community has been allowed to evaluate it's importance for themselves, even if it might be esoteric. This is to me just plain arrogant.

Your basicly saying: - All this meddling about with shinto mythology and outdated weapons systems etc. that you did in your early days just doesn't matter to us anylonger Morihei, we just want the stripped "fast-food" variant without the background facts. And likewise your saying to the commited student who want's more facts: - We know what mattered and what didn't in Ueshiba's teaching and what's suitable for you to know about it.

All this provided that his close pupils and their followers actually managed to decipher and learn any of this from his more unorthodox techings (or not, in which case i appologize to anyone who might feel wrongfully acused of not sharing this knowledge.)

I mean even if the guy didn't teach everything that HE did to others there's still a lot of folks around with indepth knowledge in the various stuff that WE KNOW he studied by himself.
To people and/sensei sitting on this information
If there's information out there to be handed down for the better of humanity please let people judge for themselves what impact this could have on their aikido.

Kojiki and jukendo for the people!

Peace!

Jasper