View Single Post
Old 11-22-2001, 09:56 AM   #20
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
I agree with Ian that each situation is unique. Osensei remarked before that each technique he does is completely different from each other, even if he did 10 iriminages in a row, it'll still be 10 different techniques depending on uke, timing, maai, strength, speed, etc. Aikido is I suppose based on principles not rigid structures.

Of course Thalib has put it succinctly that the intention here is to stop violence. There are of course many routes to that end, and here lets just agree not to debate whether reversal violence can do just that or not.

I also don't really believe that if you act nice all the time or 'switch off' your emotional receptors, abusive idiots will forswear their verbal attacks and you get a happy ending. They'll go on until they get feedback from you. And essentially, that feedback is within your control. If you do resort to violence it may be because you feel that the situation merits it. But of course, that would only be the case if you have preserved your rationale. Most of the time, we usually use violence when we lose control, and unfortunately thats a good way to start a fight. In a fight, people will get hurt.

So what other feedbacks are there besides punching the sob in his big mouth? Looking at things from his perspective for one, persuasion, etc. Most of the time, these conflicts are as a result of an ego contest. We feel we have to win the argument, that we can do one better on him.

I like the story of Terry Dobson and this drunk on a train. Abusive drunk scaring people in the train. Big hulk aikido guy out to defend the world. It probably would have been a good way to test out his aikido moves. But then the purpose was to end the conflict and restore harmony. Inevitably, it ended because a kindly old man symphatised with the drunk and talked to him. It didn't require violence although the drunk started out really violent.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.