View Single Post
Old 05-21-2003, 09:33 PM   #56
Jeff R.
Dojo: River Valley
Quote:
Jo Adell (Qatana) wrote:
.before science was invented, everything was spiritual.
Precisely. Purity.
Quote:
in my short time in aikido i have become aware of myself enough to know that the reason i have trouble in blending practice is that i am still trying to make uke see MY point instead of me trying to see from their point of view.

you have a philospphy. we are all very aware that you have a philosophy. however every one of us has our own personal philosophy. sometimes they agree, sometimes they don't, sometimes we argue about it or drop bombs on each other over it.sometimes we use it to justify hurting other people.just because their philosphy does not agree.

but i feel like the uke that i can't quite get behind when i read your posts...

i also know myself well enough to know when i am looking for an argument, so i'm going to attempt to bow out of this discussion now...
That, of course, is an option. And when someone--God forbid--attacks someone else on the street, that victim has the same option--to bow out. Unfortunately, the victim is left with the situation unresolved, or worse.

The thing is, I have no desire to fight or attack anyone. What I would like to see, in the true spirit of Aikido, is how we can all see the same point of view, come to a universal truth.

Everyone is very quick to defend the things that society does to nature, the complacency in their philosophy, training, or lack of either, the lack of scientific evidence that they feel should support non-scientific things, or things science cannot yet interpret.

Many claim to be Aikidoka, but show little regard for the essence of what Aikido means. Many follow religions and philosophies but then avoid issues when asked to reach deeply into those beliefs and look for that common thread that can bring us all together.

Bowing out is easy. That's what this society does--instant gratification, easy disposability.

I definitely don't want to argue, but I wish we could all find the common bond as Aikidoka, as fellows. Yet if productive discussion is going to revert to hypocracy, and frustrated cop-out, then what's the point in going on?

Help me understand. I'm only offering information that I have. If I'm missing something, enlighten me. But have the courtesy of listening with an open mind as well.

The best to you.

Exercise and extend your Ki with conviction; feel its awesome power--just smile.