Thread: Jo Dori Clip
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 12:43 AM   #53
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: Jo Dori Clip

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post
Yes this is good observation. Some aikido styles do weapons in Start-Stop method, and the result is a real disaster.
Generally the techniques on this video have very low quality. The level is maximum 5th kyu and not black belt.
Some points from very rudimentary, physical point of view:
Both students are very stiff.
Attacks have not martial intent.
Balance of attacker is not taken in the moment of contact.
Nage is not interested to attack the center of uke but instead is concentrated in the jo catching and later waving jo as attacker doesn't exist.
There is no connection between both students, everybody plays his role separately.
Nage is not doing any locks seriously, so there is no question about even minimum effectiveness(as it can be obtained in dojo context ). Nage would never be able to take jo out of attacker if attacker decide to hold(I'm not even talking here about any serious counter) it for real.
The leading principle doesn't exist.
Nage is not controlling attacker at any moment.
..ok I'l not discuss here any more sophisticated no-physical aspects to demonstrate, unless all above point are not mastered there is no point to talk about it.
Hi, Naga Baba,
Did the demonstrators do anything right? It seems to me you focus is on the negative side.Would you not agree that rather than be really critical , perhaps you could give the guys some encouragement.How about you putting a clip of yourself doing the same ? I would like to see what you would do.The lads doing their
demo deserve a bit of praise for putting the clip online. Cheers, Joe