View Single Post
Old 01-15-2007, 06:24 PM   #8
ElizabethCastor

Dojo: Castle Rock Aikido
United_States
Re: The Great Colorado Trip (Advice?)

Okay,

Hi Andrew I actually live in Denver, so, let me try to help with some answers...

Nippon-Kan is a good and popular dojo in the Denver area. I began training here in Denver but have never gotten a chance to train there (I know plenty of studetns though). From what I understand, this is a more formal dojo and there are some polite things you may need to check. First, be sure to call Nippon-Kan at (303) 595-8256 and make sure its okay to stop in and train. I think that they don't let people on the mat who just drop by, you may need to pay the full month's dues before you are allowed to train. (PLEASE remember that I don't know for sure... you need to check!)

I have trained at Boulder Aikikai and Ikeda Sensei has a great technique and there are soooo many friendly aikidoka of ALL levels there! I know how to get there easily by car and there is a very reliable RTD bus that goes to Boulder daily. Check http://www.rtd-denver.com/ for the fares and such. Or Mapquest for driving directions (basicly go up hwy 36, take a right about 6 blocks into town and then a left 2 blocks up and an immediate right into the parking lot of a wearhouse like building). If you keep fishing and maybe even place a call or two you may find someone who lives in Denver but trains in Boulder to give you a lift. (They really are that nice, as you probably already know from Ben.)

Speaking of transportation the rental cars are pretty much the standard costs usually about US$30 -- US$60 per day depending on your preferences. The Light Rail system is best for getting around downtown, LoDo and South Denver but they don't go to the north and west of the city (we're working on it ). You can get a bus pretty much anywhere else but it will make you trip about 30-45 min longer than it would have been if you drive.

Another couple of tips for you... there are some other cool dojos you may want to check out too (if you can) Denver Aikido w/ Edgar Johansen Sensei (near downtown Denver) is still in its innaugural year and doing GREAT! and (of course) my dojo (just on the east side of town) Aikido Doushin Juku w/ Jeff Albright Sensei and finally Aikikai Tanshin Juku w/ Kei Izawa Sensei (found in Laffayette -- halfway between Denver and Boulder) . Those in the city are pretty easy to get to and if you need a lift to our class I'd be happy to oblige. Also, there will be the annual Denver Aikido Summit with practices by many different styles on the weekend of March 24th. It is an awesome, spectacular and even great opportunity to get a sampling of all that Denver has to offer an Aikidoka (this last year they hosted Ki Society, Tomiki, Takamura ha Shindo Yoshin ryu, Aikikai Tanshin Juku and Boulder Aikikai).

I hope that some more 1st hand info helps and feel free to "impose" and PM me. I'm proud to share the "Mile High City" with any and all!

Elizabeth