View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 09:15 AM   #9
DarkShodan
Dojo: Shuurin Dojo - Omaha, Nebarska
United_States
Re: Challenging notions of "tradition" in aikido

Interesting. I have had a few students from another dojo come into our dojo and tell me "I practice traditional Aikido. You don't really do Aikido, rather what you do is Hawaiian Aikido." To be honest this really insults me and my school. So I try to practice what my Sensei taught me by asking them to explain to me what is the difference between traditional Aikido and our Hawaiian Non-Aikido. I cannot get a straight answer from these people. I realize this is an idea and an attitude being passed on by their sensei, very unfortunate.

What we try is to preserve the Japanese Traditions that are a part of Aikido. IMHO Aikido is a moving concept not a rigid set of techniques. I have experienced many arts and the concepts are the same. Even in the hard style striking arts, once you get past the kata and forms, you need to expand to find the techniques within the techniques. Find the block within the strike, and the strike within the block. If you are perfecting the kata or form for the sake of the kata, then I think you're missing the point.

Victims, aren't we all.
-- Eric Draven