View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 05:06 PM   #612
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States
Re: The continued Evolution of Aikido

I think that aikido is not an organic thing, hence it does not "evolve," in the sense that many posts state. However, I believe aikido is learning experience and like most learning experiences, there is a natural selection that places those who learn faster at an advantage. To that extent, I believe there should ALWAYS be pressure to find a better way to learn aikido and to teach aikido. I see people like George Ledyard sensei who strive to create a better teaching methodology and I argue that aikido is becoming an easier art to learn through instructors who are spending time breaking down the techniques and principles to a level that is easier for students to consume.

Second, I think that comparing aikido to other martial arts is something like comparing apples to oranges and probably not worthwhile discussion. However, a valid point to raise is why aikido does not attract the same students as MMA or other "popular" arts. I think we answer that question ourselves when in one breath we ask, "why doesn't aikido attract 18-25 yo athletes that want to fight?" and in the next breath say, "aikido should evolve to no fighting at all."

Aikido is a great martial art. If we have trouble marketing it to those who would embrace it, then change marketing techniques not the art itself.