View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 08:26 AM   #50
DH
United_States
Re: What Is Your Frame Of Reference For Understanding Aikido?

Quote:
Ron Ragusa wrote: View Post
Hi Dan -
So which is it? Do we make Aikido our own, "live free in the world", or should we recreate Ueshiba's vision in all its detail in order that we may be able to do "his Aikido"?

Best,
Ron
What do you think, Ron?
Quote:
Dan Harden wrote:
In the fullness of time these "make aikido your own" statements should be challenged by taking them to their logical conclusion.
As I said, I think people need to have their feet put to the fire and be decisive other than to keep quoting him to validate what ever it is they're trying to say, which most of the time leads to the contradictions which were his life.
Do you think you are capable of "recreating his vision in all its detail?"
For those making claims of physical understanding, they should in- whatever part- be able to demonstrate at least some of his physical power, and that power should be greater in those training the longest. If not, what's up with that?

If not and they want to walk away and stand on their own and do what ever it is they do, what's wrong with that? Although I do think its odd that people claiming spiritual understanding are dressing up in Japanese clothing and waving weapons (that they clearly have no clue how to use) in the air and running around in a circle. I think it's an embarrassment to him and themselves, but whatever.

Most would agree the middle ground is where they are at. There is a peculiar aspect to the aiki arts that draw people, and I have heard enough people talk about the benefits of their practice that I am sold that it is indeed a positive experience for many. So what's wrong with that?
Just as well, there are those interested in the more martial aspects of IP/aiki, and what is wrong with that?
Cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 06-27-2011 at 08:30 AM.