Old 01-06-2010, 02:52 AM   #95
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary
Re: My Experiences in Cross Training MMA with Aikido

Quote:
Reuben Yap wrote: View Post
Perception of an Attack

In Aikido, most students aren't really good attackers.

However, CMD removed my fear of being punched. I no longer flinch and got used to the faster punch speeds.

You can't expect to apply Aikido to every attack

When I swapped these sloppy attacks with more realistic quick punches, you realized that there are punches that you can't do a technique on (for example a crisp jab),

Realistic Sparring changes your Mindset- you can't always be passive

CMD also introduced me to realistic sparring where you don't really know how the other guy is going to attack. Aikido randoori or jiyuwaza isn't really 'free' in that there are still predetermined attacks and...holds....
Heh, cant believe I didnt add my 2 cents.
[not missing much, and I pretty much agree with what you have said and believe many might share similar sentiments who have had a similar experience.]

As was pointed out in this thread, many fear that they have wasted their time so do not choose to look at the options that challenge their pre-held beliefs concerning what they have been involved in. [i.e. Aikido] But as what is pointed out, it actually allows you to go deeper.

This principle goes for anything really.
Same in my religious/spiritual life.
You get to a point in that which is the excepted norm, where you reach its limits, and see the shortcomings of the structure which really was never part of the structure... but you mistook it for just that.

You either go away bitter in delusionment, and thus loosing access to any of the key truths of said teaching/training, or it evolves on a new level all together. [i.e. the reptile did not learn to walk more efficiently but learned to fly thus bypassed walking altogether.]

Anyway valid points you brought up with the live training in Aikido.
Cant speak for every dojo, but it seems many would benefit from adding randori as a key element to their advanced training. [perhaps many do]

But as hinted at, people have at times [very] sloppy attacks.
Take a bit of boxing and you will realize that certain techniques in Aikido have to be applied differently - and your really relying on the core principles that you either picked up or didnt... and no, your Aikido will not look like something you do on your test.

I pulled kotegaeshi at my Thai-boxing/MMA class on a guy when we had a grappling session. But we both were on the ground, and not suwariwaza style either and I took the principle and got it to work.

Can I reproduce this? Again, its not about one set way of doing it... next time we might not be in that situation/position, etc. Its about taking the core principles and working with it... [it may be I never get it to work again... but then I will have other things to draw upon as I expand my arsenal as it were.]

As for the part of not being afraid to be hit... truth is Im not to keen on it. Used to be where it didnt phase me to get my head knocked around back when I did my short training in kickboxking. But, like with sk-8 boarding on ramps... I found as I aged, things hurt more.

[years back in my late 20s I went on a ramp and slammed... never experienced pain like that before, yet I had slammed quite a lot in my younger years and it had no affect on me.]

Ideally I suppose the best option for people aging would be to learn BJJ on the side of their Aikido... if they ever got into a fight [competition, etc.] they can minimize the punches perhaps and take it to the ground. [What do I know, I dont really watch that much MMA despite my interest in the concepts behind cross-training, etc.]

Anyway, sometimes we just dont really relate to something till we try it out... at times this may not be practical or wise, but its good to remember that things are sometimes a bit more than what we can actually relate to despite how much we think we get it.
[and no, I am not claiming to have gotten it... but I am happy with what I have learned in almost the past 3 years]

Peace

dAlen

Last edited by dalen7 : 01-06-2010 at 03:00 AM.

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com