View Single Post
Old 06-11-2004, 01:16 PM   #85
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
Re: Is Morihei Ueshiba really O Sensei

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote:
If you felt that what I, or any of the other folks who posted about Systema, had to say could have been augmented with information about areas in which Tohei Sensei's system accomplished the same things within a traditional Aikido structure it would have been great to hear from you. You act like I was attacking you in some way I can't fathom. In fact, from what little I know about what you guys do, there may be some very interesting areas to explore that would benefit Aikido folks in general. If I had happened to have experienced them myself I would certainly be telling others about it.

Well as Ki Society teacher, I certainly felt at least what Vladimir was teaching at the Aiki Expo last year to be very much in tune with my training in Ki-Aikido. It was very compatible in terms of what felt like many of the same things and I have even borrowed some of the exercises especially like the ones he did for dealing with kicks and knives. It just fits right in with what our regular curriculum. More breathing exercises always good.

and for the record, if I am traveling and no Ki Society dojos are around, I certainly like to visit ASU ones.

as to the topic of this thread, Tohei Sensei considers O'Sensei his teacher and that's good enough for me. but we all have to surpass O'Sensei in some way or aikido will die. Change is inevitable. Even koryu arts face this problem. To me KS at it's best is about change and growth.

YMMV,
Craig