View Single Post
Old 05-15-2006, 11:07 AM   #230
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: The "Jo Trick" and Similar Exercises

Ron, Might be the time of day right now (it is late for me!), so I am not sure I understand what you are saying.

Maybe I am not very clear in my words.

My point is this. Everything must be done with moderation and balance.

We want to strive for excellence and to improve in everything we do. The Jo Trick can be a way to demonstrate certain aspects and to convey concepts that much I agree with.

I suppose what I am most critical of is the objectification of such things as being "mysterious", the insinuation that there are only special eastern people and a few rare individuals can convey they things, and that it somehow holds a great matter of significance in training.

The danger is that we get people in the martial arts that feel that their is some "holy grail" that if they can obtain those magical secrets, will some how be special or very powerful.

Dan outright says that he knows that if Chuck Liddell mastered "this stuff" that his punches would be more powerful.

No disrespect to Dan, but how would he know what Chuck Liddell has mastered or not mastered? How do you know how many pounds per square inch he is packing in his punch? There is an air of assumption and judgement that does not sit well with me. (Sorry Dan)

It can be devisive and makes some people feel special at the exclusion of others. Those that may not be as experienced in martial arts get caught up in the "stuff" that we run around preaching, talking about, and demonstrating and they don't really have the base to judge what is important or not important.

Again, I don't mean to trivialize the value of KI training and things like the Jo trick. I simply think that moderation is the key. There is a tendency for people to try and quantify and objectify aspects of their training. In doing so they run the risk of putting too much focus and importance on things that are not quite as special they might seem to be.

I hope this makes sense Ron.