View Single Post
Old 02-21-2007, 07:56 AM   #630
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Baseline skillset

Quote:
Joshua Reyer wrote: View Post
I'm quite aware of what the translation says. My point is that you are arguing off of translated terms that are idiomatically imprecise.
Then your argument is with Stanley Pranin -- not with me. But, in any event, the original also bears the same interpretation he gave it and that I see in its translated form.
Quote:
If I was translating Ueshiba's words in this case, I, too, would use "non-resistance", but if I was arguing whether something was counter to his words or not, I'd use his actual words, not a translation.
For which I thank you.
Quote:
Ueshiba's words, from the Seibukan website:

合気道は無抵抗主義である。無抵抗なるが故にはじめから勝っているのだ。
Thank you. As I said, 抵抗 is a systemic characteristic, like electrical resistance, for which it is also used. A systemic characteristic exists throughout the whole and in each part.

Acknowledging his use of muteikou 無抵抗 in this passage, it does not change anything about my point from the text of the interview. The term used in that interview translated as "absolute"by Pranin is "tettei" 徹底 = "thoroughness/completeness" 徹底 した無抵抗主義" states a principle (主義) of nonresistance (無抵抗) existing with (した) "thoroughness/completeness" (徹底) or throughout the whole of the body. The proper connotation of the kanji 徹底 is nonresistance that "penetrates to the bottom/root/foundation"

His use of tettei 徹底 in the interview may be used to strengthen the statement, such that there should be no partial degrees of nonresistance in the different parts, or it may be merely an emphasis on the systemic nature of the principle already implicit in teikou 抵抗. The statement is open to both interpretations in this context where he was correcting an apparent misimpression of the interviewer.
Quote:
If you need more convincing I'll happily stop off at the library today, pick up the Japanese edition of "Morihei Ueshiba and Aikido", and quote Ueshiba's interview directly.
Again, thank you very much. Please take no further trouble, although, if you have any pointers to any other original texts of O Sensei online, I will happily take them. I am satisfied with the excerpt text you gave, and very appreciative to have thisportion of the original stateemnt to work with on this important point.
Quote:
Arguing from someone's words is a tricky enough business among native speakers of that person's language. Adding translated words only muddies the waters further.
I am glad we clarified that.

Last edited by Erick Mead : 02-21-2007 at 08:07 AM.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.