View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 04:33 PM   #20
sefie
Dojo: Glen Waverley
Australia
Re: The History of Aikido in Australia?

Quote:
Robin Boyd wrote: View Post
Oh? Are those of us who learned our aikido elsewhere welcome? My experience is that Aikikai Australia does not even approve of people such as myself who received their black belt from Aikikai in Japan, let alone non-affiliated organisations.

You said that you have never met someone who does aikido outside of Aikikai Australia, and I find this is a remarkably common state of affairs. As Tony said, Aikido organizations in Australia can be very insular.
For the 50th anniversary, yes, some of the training days will be opened to non-Aikikai practitioners. With the Doshu coming, I don't think we could stop them if we tried. Not all of the details have been hammered out yet, and I don't want to overpromise, so I can't give more information right now. All we have are the dates (Jan 19th-25th 2015). I think Jan 22nd-25th are the days that will be open.

Quote:
You said that you have never met someone who does aikido outside of Aikikai Australia, and I find this is a remarkably common state of affairs.
I slightly misspoke - I do train with people who previously trained in Tomiki and Iwama, but only because they now train in Aikikai. For what that's worth

Quote:
Diana mentioned walking past a ki society dojo, but couldn't see one one associate with ki society on a quick search, maybe it was the ki fusion mentioned above.
Possibly! I went to check but they haven't put their sign out for a while. I assumed it was due to Christmas/New Year holidays but that's stretching it a little. We had an influx of new members recently due to a Tomiki dojo closing down, but none of them have stuck around longer than a month