View Single Post
Old 05-26-2007, 07:51 PM   #11
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: What technique would you apply to neutralize Brazilian Jujitsu attacker

Quote:
Ahmed Altalib wrote:
I have lately been coming across much boasting by the Brazilian Jujitsu practioners about their grappling techniques and claims that no martial art would stand a chance once you are on the ground how ever there must be more than one Aikido technique which if applied in that second the Brazilian Jujitsu fighter reaches with his hand to grab would neutralize the whole attack so what is it in your opinion?
Try a technique with your knife or sword, any weapon really. The BJJer will be scared and confused, and if he grabs your arm(s) use aikido techniques. . . that's what they are for, if he never attempts to control your arms stab, or cut him repeatedly. (Disclaimer: I do not advocate the use of violence unless it is for self-defense. The above example is for illustrative purposes only.)

Quote:
Michael Fooks wrote:
If you want to beat a grappler, you need to learn to grapple. Simple. BJJers train in a different way, with a different mindset and with different goals to most Aikidoka. The result is in a true application they are likely to have more functional tools availible to them. Or it may be better to say their tools have become more functionalised.
Or you can use your weapon against him. Jujutsu wasn't that important to the samurai. I wonder why?

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki