View Single Post
Old 01-08-2007, 07:08 PM   #3
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Re: Specific question on Ukemi

Janet is right on the money.

In addition, while keeping in mind what Janet had to say (for the rest of your life actually), you might also want to never forget that ukemi is a skill that is learned in many ways - most of them being unexpected and nearly all of them being only identifiable in hindsight.

I find that if one can keep this in mind, one can be more open to the many different types of problems that every different uke brings to the training (i.e. not get stuck on them). This sometimes gives us the opportunity not feel pressured to fix every nage or to have every nage fix us. This is important because, especially at the earlier years of training, there is a whole lot of stuff that is problematic but that actually shouldn't be part of Aikido training at all (e.g. personality conflicts, ego problems - things often related to "pushing" matches). These things, in my experience, are often making problems where there should not be problems. Additionally, they are often best corrected by a strong teacher that says face to face in front of everyone, "Hey, enough with the ego, stop doing that now." However, you rarely get that (in most places). As such, with very good intentions, you are stuck dealing with false problems, often, and if you do not have some sort of "freeing" element to your training, you get stuck trying to solve these problems as if they are real EVERY SINGLE TIME THEY SHOW UP (which is all the time).

So, yes, train mindfully, but along the way, be mindful that nearly all problems (when training mindfully) reconcile themselves via the maturation process in a very natural (almost "hands-off") kind of way (especially when mindful).

FWIW,
dmv

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.