View Single Post
Old 08-21-2016, 09:04 PM   #29
rugwithlegs
Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai
United_States
Re: Reconcile the world

Quote:
Ron Ragusa wrote: View Post
Philosophically speaking we are an egalitarian dojo. While we do have a traditional ranking system, rank doesn't equate to position in any pecking order. There's no "step 'n fetch it" activity here. The main reason that Mary E. and I frown on the hierarchical nature of many dojos is that we want our students to grow strong and keep growing stronger as they train. So we absolutely reject any behavior that permits students to give away their power to their more advanced partners and visa versa.
Thanks Ron,

You and your dojo looks to have put a lot of thought into how to transmit character development. This one aspect is something I haven't seen elsewhere and I like it. Sometimes blind obedience, subservience, and loyalty get confused. I've wondered how students get taught to think and act for themselves in a more rigid military style top-down environment. You're giving your students autonomy and authority early on, which is rare.

Some students are more senior than others, and the teachers are more senior as well. Do you have a problem keeping a class on task in a more egalitarian environment? Some aspects of etiquette like bowing contain aspects of juniors giving away power to their seniors - hand position, timing, lining up to bow in, who goes first after bowing in to each other, etc - do you still teach this?