View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #59
Chris Parkerson
Dojo: Academy of the Martial Arts
United_States
Re: Reality? Embarrassment for Aikido

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post
Where's the embarrassing part? I guess the title of the video is accurate, but what I see is an aikido guy seeing if he can do anything against a judo guy. You see several times that he has ideas of things he could do, using atemi/etc, but in the context of what they're doing (friendly training/testing) he's obviously not going to do that. Props to him for playing like this.

If you think it's all about kuzushi, what is the aikido guy missing to allow him to get kuzushi on someone clearly intent on downing him? 1000 more reps of ikkyo? 5000 shihonage's? more "hard training"?
Hal Von Luebbert (my judo coach) used to argue with Phil Porter that training harder (till you puke) would not produce any different results. This video is a good case in point. The Aikido man should have learned allot about strategy and adaptation from this encounter.

And the I here t lessons are available to all who watch it.

1) if you cannot get the opponent to give you some juice (look at Tohei's judo aikido rondoris) you may need to adapt your aiki into smaller circles so it will create the juice you need for kuzushi.

2) if you resort to pulling on an opponent's sleeve, collar or torso, you are doing judo. The same grips can be used, but you must push from behind. Age-sage, placing your center at the conjunction point of the push (behind/under) must be a subtle process.

3) kata teaches principles that are expressed most often by going through 3 joints -( shoulder, elbow and wrist). Use the same principles by going throughout the torso or shoulders only. Yes, the aiki looks like Mifune's judo. But that is aiki under these conditions.

4. Learn what Sensei Ledyard calls seems and the Ikkyo curve. You cannot get kuzushi on a trained grappler sloping. Every effort must be on the seam.

Just my observations from a few years playing similar experiments.