View Single Post
Old 09-02-2005, 03:34 PM   #20
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Aikido & Judo Seminar/DC Metro Area

Michael...I am living the dream right now!

We are essentially doing MMA in my "dojo" right now. REAL MMA approach...just a bunch of great, experience guys that get together a couple of times a week an draw from each others experiences to make ourselves better!

We just had an awesome seminar with A BJJ black belt, a Judo dude, a few state champ/ collegiate level greco roman guys, kali etc...

It really is interesting when you start breaking down various paradigms formed from your perspective art and questioning your methodologies and learning.

I am constantly suprised...not by what is WRONG with aikido...but I find I understand the dynamic and reasoning behind the methodology applied in it much better!

The only advice I can offer you is persistence. Keep plugging away...build it and they will come if it is worthwile!

I was training every morning for about a year by myself wondering if I was a failure or if what I was doing was a waste of time. I know have at least four to ten people that show up 3 days a week!

What I originally envisioned has how I would do things has migrated and evolved...but it forced me to grow and face reality and figure out how to properly LEAD a dojo...not spout of information that I had in my head from years of training.

I am facilitator/leader...not an Instructor/Sensei....BIG difference! I now get it! AND it is why things are now working for me!

Good luck!