View Single Post
Old 08-23-2000, 04:44 PM   #34
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Quotes-Quotes-Quotes

Quote:
Magma wrote:

One question, though. The Free Spirit said that Tohei Sensei retains 30% of O'sensei's teachings, which CA understood to mean "remembers." When I read TFS's original post, I thought she (I think 'she', sorry if it's 'he') intended it as Tohei Sensei "kept" 30% of O'sensei's teachings and "changed" the other 70%. Could we get a clarification?
This quote is from the "Interview with Koichi Tohei" at JoonRhee.Com
http://www.aikido2000.com/default.asp

Quote:
Koichi Tohei said:

The one essential thing I learned from Ueshiba Sensei was how to relax. He was always relaxed in the face of conflict, which is why his Aikido was so strong. He would do this himself, but he encouraged his young students to hold with as much strength as possible. In Aikido if you are not relaxed you cannot throw a person. It seemed a mystery to us that Ueshiba Sensei could always throw, could always get out of a hold. He would lead your Ki, and could always throw his opponent in the direction he was already going. I began to make rapid progress after I started copying what he did, and paid less attention to what he said. I ended up only keeping about 30% of the techniques I learned from Ueshiba Sensei, changing or dropping the rest. What I really learned from him was not technique, but the true secret of Aikido, non-dissension; not to resist your opponent's strength but to use it.
Quote:
Magma wrote:

There is a quote I think by Teddy Roosevelt about the critic standing on the sideline, questioning the true hero in the thick of conflict, living in it. That to that person (in the field) goes the honor. If someone has this quote, please add it to this list, otherwise I'll look for it myself and add it later. It is worth remembering.
I don't think this is the exact Theodore Roosevelt quote you were thinking of, but it reflects the same feeling.

Quote:
"Far better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much . . . in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." .
This Theodore Roosevelt quote also reflects the same thought.

Quote:
"The only people who never make a mistake are the people who never do anything." .
Ted Ehara