View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 08:59 AM   #10
Allen Beebe
United_States
Re: Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 8

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
An increasing problem with these columns is that with each installment they are becoming more like 'serious history' and less like the private musings of one aikidoka.
On the other hand, this is also the primary strength of the columns. As the saying goes, "Everyone's got an opinion, just like everyone has an ______. Not everyone, has a scholarly comprehension of the historical/cultural contexts influencing Aikido.

Unfortunately, due to the fact that so many people have opinions and aren't bashful about airing them, your presentation of history may be taken as just one more opinion . . . and a not so popular or appealing one at that.

The fact is, I doubt that the majority of today's practicing Aikidoka care though. Or more tellingly, they choose to ignore anything that might conflict with their Aikido narrative . . . and why should they? Popularly shared Aikido comes conveniently prepackaged in a protective easy to swallow coating. No wonder it has far wider appeal. All these independent facts and history have little to do with "Sensei X's Aikido." Why this is so will be covered in your future columns I suspect.

You are in a unique position (in many ways) to share this information and I appreciate the selflessness (I'm sure you will experience some blow-back.) you are showing in doing so. I'm looking forward to reading and learning more of the history that you present as well as "your private musings."

Allen

~ Allen Beebe