View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #22
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Direction of Groundpath

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
As for direction of groundpath, now I'm thinking that it's primarily down because it is established by the mind/body's direction to the ground, thus, path to the ground or ground path.
I meant to say that groundpath is established by the mind/body's directing an incoming force into the ground. It's the "path to the ground" or more specifically, the direct path to the ground.

So maybe this makes more sense:

Quote:
Second, according to my fuzzy understanding, you can compress yourself along that groundpath, like a big rubber shock absorber, and third, expand rather forcefully back into the source of the incoming force, along the same path.
Clearer?

Quote:
So it seems that the groundpath direction is down but it can be used to direct outgoing force along the line where the body has maximum support...
That should be a reasonable point by now.

Quote:
...we can relax while holding the other guy immobile, letting him push hard into the earth. Once that is established, we know that the push comes into the hips and goes into the ground foot to the earth. Then the question is, where does the push start?
Read that like this:

...we can relax while holding the other guy immobile, letting him push hard into the earth. Once that is established, we know that his push comes into our hips and goes into the ground foot to the earth. Then the question is, where does our push start? (i.e., in the hips/center/dantian or in the rear foot?)

Quote:
If you start with the idea of having a load against you, you can see that the hip then pushes down into the rear foot, which pushes back up with a corkscrew inward spiral to the hips. So that would be consistent with CXW's push coming from the hip to the foot.
I mean to say that if you do this thinking only of holding a staff or spear and thrusting the air, it's very different than starting with someone pushing the other end of the stick. So we have to think of already being in a stance with a load against us which we have grounded into the rear foot. If that is established, the foot is already being pushed into the earth by the incoming load and all we have there is "stasis" or balance of forces. So the next move has to be considered "the first move" and CXW tells us that that movement is from the dantian, generating force, first toward the foot...and then the foot sends that power back up to the center to be passed on to the hands. And that's very easy if the small rotation of the spine drives the cross of the arms and the extension of the back leg continues to add to the movement (while still grounding the incoming force, such as it is by that point).

Quote:
I think all of this is sort of "given" in Tim's spear thrusting thread. (I think.) From my experience with Aunkai, the balance of the incoming push and the push from the hip to the foot, with the foot pushing back upward in a corkscrew is basic. In other words, they set up the groundpath first and work with it all the way through the thrust.
And I hope that all I have said above supports that (and that it's consistent with what Aunkai intends..

Quote:
But then just how does the hip effect a push into the rear foot?
I hope that becomes clearer now and I guess the real question is how the dantian moves to effect the issuance of power.

Thanks.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com