View Single Post
Old 02-26-2007, 10:08 AM   #711
Edward
Thailand
Re: Baseline skillset

Quote:
Mark Chiappetta wrote: View Post
I'm curious to hear some opinions from senior folks....... How many of Osensei's students have surpassed him in skill level? Heck, do you feel that it is even possible? I'm anticipating that the answer might be none and no. Taken to the next level, for those of you that train with direct students of Osensei, have you or any of your peers surpassed the skill level of your teacher? Where I'm going with this is as follows:
I think some direct students of Osensei are better and more talented than others. I have seen students, both Japanese and Westerners, who surpassed their teachers who are direct students of Osensei. In the exception of Tohei and perhaps Shioda, and with all due respect, I have not seen something from the remaining Shihans that really strikes me as extraordinary. They had the privilege to know and train with Osensei, they are great aikido masters, but their students can also become as good or even better. Osensei was an extraordinary man, with exceptional talents and gifts, and he also was a very hard worker, obsessed with what he was doing. Get me someone who trains and lives aikido the same way Osensei did, and I am quite sure he must be damn good.