View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008, 09:49 AM   #16
tuturuhan
United_States
Re: Long road vs short road to ki power (aiki, internal strength...)

A lifetime

When a very famous author was in his twenties he took it upon himself to cross the seas on a cruise to Europe. He had the great fortune to encounter a publisher from a "big house".

"Sir...what advice might you have for me. I hope to one day write the great american novel.

"Young man...my advice is that you wait until you are at least 45 before you write your book.

"That's a long time to wait," replied the young man.

"Well...by then you will have something significant to say." replied the publisher.

Today, I seem to encounter more and more young people (and unfortunately older people who are influenced by "instant gratification") that want to go to seminars where they will be given the "answers to everything".

Perhaps, "sound bites" and "google bytes" are training us to believe that "knowledge is at our fingertips". Perhaps, this is true. The transportation of data is now at lightening speed. But, there is no doubt in my mind that knowledge does not necessarily produce wisdom.

As such, I prefer the martial artist who intertwines his life experiences with his years on the mat. Anybody can get on the internet and parrot words such as "blending, koryu, internal energy, jin, jing etc etc. But, reciting definitions at lightening speed is a world away from the "utility" in actual combat (physical, intellectual and spiritual).

Sincerely
JosephT. Oliva Arriola

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola