View Single Post
Old 03-08-2006, 09:55 PM   #12
David Kai
Dojo: Northern Alberta Aikido
Canada
Re: how many times have you gotten hurt?

So, we're talking injuries. I, myself, am rather accident prone ... and also hyperflexibe, which doesn't help.

While studying Yoseikan Aiki Budo in Quebec, I managed to break my hand during a demonstration and I managed to CRUSH my big toe kicking what was supposed to be a matted wall ... turned out to be so worn out that it was more or less just a covered cinderblock. During that same time frame, I also managed to hyper-extend one of my ankles during a break fall. By taking the pressure off of one foot, I managed to wear out the other ankle very quickly. This is something that acts up every winter with a dull ache in my ankles.

During the last 10 years of Aikido training, I have had a few injuries. I had a concusion that hospitalized me. Funny though, I only grazed the mat with the utmost gentleness. It just happened to be at the perfect angle to mess with my head two days later as I was vomiting everywhere.

About 4 years ago, I did a full dislocation on my left elbow. The tissue scaring and secondary joint issues took about 2.5 years to clear up. 1-handed Aikido was in order for about 6 months.

Last April, I re-tore my hip-flexor taking the ukemi for a ude garami (cross arm throw). Sounds odd?!? I was born with bad hips and the regular ukemi puts too much pressure on the hip. I have another ukemi that I use, but I was at a seminar and nage was fustrated with my ukemi ... so he threw really hard and I couldn't make the adjustment I needed. Maybe, I should have said something first!?!

The only advice I would have to anybody who is looking to protect themselves is stretch, stretch, stretch, and don't let your ego stand in the way of asking, "How do I take this ukemi at my level?"