View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #77
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom
Re: Rude Noises and other offending stuff in class

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Well...this is where y'all bring out the boffer bats (or the bokken) and start whaling on me and yellling, "Mary, shut UP!" But does "spirit" have anything to do with "spirituality"? I think of "spirituality" as a connection with the divine, whether that be Allah or the kami or Jesus or the god in you. The usage of "spirit" in the martial arts, OTOH, has always given me the sense that it was a translation of a word that referred to a particular attitude and that the original had no connotations of the sacred. So, am I wrong about that?

BTW Alex: "yep". Okay. So only people who incorporate a "spiritual process" in their training can be effective in a real-life self-defense situation. By that reasoning, a genocidaire should be the best thing on legs when it comes to facing an attack, not so?
Umm........yep. Realistically I think it'd be impossible to develop a martial art without a spiritual component. All you can really do is choose whether or not your system acknowleges that training will change you and perhaps try and guide the training so that the spiritual development is positive.

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
By that reasoning, a genocidaire should be the best thing on legs when it comes to facing an attack, not so?
Yep. The problem is that we're talking about a psychopath and societies tend to kill psychopaths whenever possible.