View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 12:19 AM   #15
SparkErosion
Dojo: 6th Kyu (yellow belt) rank/ Five Rings Aikido/ Seidokan hybrid style
United_States
Re: Please help - got injured badly in aikido 2 days ago.worried I can't do aikido fu

Quote:
Andrew Macdonald wrote: View Post
of course you'll be able to train again, don't listen to anyone but your doctor.

Even your mother, gynastic at an olympic level where you are competing with people and putting your body through huge amounts of stress and doing aikido are not related in the slightest. ukemi is not gymnastics.

it may take a while to heal though and you have to be open to that. in the mean time get yourself down to the dojo watch classes, gets books on aikido, even DVDs if it helps. in short don't let the rot set in.

I have know lots of talented martial artist who had a serious injury that took them out for a while, and in that time they drifted and never came back.

No one, NO ONE has done aikido for a long time without picking up an injury or two, knees, back, elbow, i was at a seminar with horri shihan and he was telling us the sotry of how parts of his aikido changed becasue of a serious injury he had. but anyway.

so everyone thinks that you can go back, becasue you can. it is no big deal, just keep on going
Oh, I'm never quitting. Yeah, it's gonna take awhile to get back. Yeah, after being so close to testing for my first belt, I'm upset this happened , but heck no I'm not quitting. I'll review the good techniques online on my dodos website which has over a hundred, ukemi, Shikko, you name it. I'll go to classes eventually once I feel better and the pain is good enough me to walk a mile home as I always had from my dojo. From my posts, it may seem I'm a quitter, I know no one said that, but I'm not and stubborn as heck (ask my dad who says its a bad thing... ) ill buy some good aikido DVDs in the meantime when I can afford them next month, any classic ones? Ones that I *must* own? I never bought any. I'll ask my sensei, luckily a friend told me they had a book on martial arts at STAR (a peer run recovery based center for people with severe mental illness, which I was "diagnosed" with) ill look in the book and see if there's any exercise I can do with one hand/arm with no body movement in aikido. The a/c shoulder seperation is bad enough where I can't move without a decent amount of pain, ESP. Bending down, turning head or neck to the right left, up, Down, basically anything that hurts the ligaments/tendons/muscles in my left shoulder (which consists of the humerus or upper arm bone which inserts into the chest cavity at its "ball joint", the shoulder blade, and the collar bone. All of this area hurts, even deep breathing or flexing any muscles, oddly, even flexing the abdominal a hurts. BUT, I can move my right hand arm no pain, full motion of this arm and shoulder, but picking something heavy (I can pick up minor stuff, if its heavy like. A 12 case of soda, no way.. Then I feel a lot of pain in my left shoulder and left shoulder muscles). I've a psychiatrist appointment tommoroow, primary care doctor on Wednesday, and ortho surgeon on Thursday , all free with my insurance via taxi. So I took care of that at least. I don't like my psychiatrist much, she tends to challlenge any of my opinions, it's like a one sided argument, instead of listening , she always wins, she's the Doc, as she said, "i can't diagnose myself. " I always follow my body and my gut, and we've always clashed (and most other Drs, PAs, Social workers) . I know I have an eating disorder, probably Bulima, but it IS an eating disorder. I actually lost 104 lbs, through a healthy balanced diet (1800 to 2000 kcal a day, lots of fruit, veggies, complex carbs like sweet potatoes, high protein, mostly fish and other lean cuts like lean pork chops, skinless boneless chicken breast, healthy fats, mostly unsaturated such as peanut butter, but still low fat, eating what I wanted on the weekends in control, obviously) biking 8 miles a day to the gym and back , lifting a major muscle group a day (different each day) 5 days week . Doing this a year I lost the majority of the fat, and then hit a plateau. I didn't quick. I was eating mostly healthy, but some of too much lean cuisine frozen dinners, caused water retention.i was finally able to bike more an 1/16th of a mile (no sarcasm!) up to 20 miles, but still at that plateau . I scratched my diet. I stopped buying those or ate them minimally. I just ate whole foods, I'm not going to say natural as I don't like that term , but not processed in the form of say like, a hotdog, candy bar, even a piece of chicken breast, broccoli, fruit , veggies, a 1/2 a med. sweet potato and light soy milk is much better (and a lot less salt!) than any frozen dinner. I also started doing an activity I really sucked at, running. I did High Intensity Interval Training or HIIT, running. 15 minutes of hell. Re did my weight lifting too. All of this got me through my plateau of around 174 lbs, and a that point 16 to 17% body fat . Once I got past it, body fat got to 10-11% which I maintain now. But for an enormous amount of time and training it took go from average body fat for my age "17%" to good or ideal at 15%. I logged every bite of food I ate the 2 years it took t lost the 104 lbs, online, and logged photos, also online. That's why most drs don't think I have an ED. Once I hit maintaince, I couldn't . I had to get thinner. I still saw and see myself too fat, even though sometimes I know I'm not. I'm still at a healthy weigh but feel really fat after this injury. Parents say I'm too thin. It's not they say, just loose skin. The loose skin , which is noticeable, but not too bad, caused this. The obsession with body image developed into body dysmorphic disorder. Eventually I'd binge on food, which I always did as obese but controlled it during mantience and losing the weight, but sometimes I eat healthy and the binge will go on for a week. I gain some weight, feel fatter immediately, even if I didn't gain any and it was just water , and immediate restrict my diet heavily to 1600 kcal less. Or if my weight was up a lb from the ever decreasing "ideal" , I bike 60 miles across 4 cities. Recently in the last month I started self induced vomiting, threw up or purged 50 times a day for about 2 weeks, then had severe pain suddenly and went to 7 hospitals, all dismissing the ES as non existent , I.e I didn't have one, saying ill just snap out of it. My psychiatrist agrees I don't have any eating disorders, I've gotten in many angry and heated arguments with her on this, going in and out of denial. The last one admitted me, I had an infection of the bowels, almost had.my gallbladder removed from he swelling, a hiatal hernia, and low electrolytes. The antibiotics healed me, within 2weeks after I was ok and feeling fine when this shoulder seperation occurred. Without a diagnosis from my own psychiatrist , and I've had one from other , except it only matters if its from my primary psychiatrist , I cannot get proper treatment for it which my insurance covers. I went to ED anonymous, only to end the group from severe nausea and pain that came back again, had to go to the hospital again. All the people with their contacts I called and left voicemails for, none whom called back. Anyway, I'll give the links to the weight loss, I think it's cool. Went from a size 50 waist to 32! Also I'm a magician and have been practicing magic with one hand, which is actually the conclusion or point I wanted to make, I have other hobbies and friends, many, in the magic community. Ill post those videos too. Thanks guys hope check them out. Oh, I'll never quit! And I never am. 6 months or so, I'm hooked.
http://youtu.be/tG2AHuf5Vyo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QOiYNa9xRU. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJToTBr4Nhw Weight loss: http://weight-loss.fitness.com/t/335...rk-in-progress. (More pic on the last page) here is my nutrition diary for 2 years: http://weight-loss.fitness.com/t/33313/my-dairy. Currently I'm going to school to become a registered dietitian . Thanks guys.

Last edited by SparkErosion : 10-16-2012 at 12:32 AM.