View Single Post
Old 06-09-2003, 10:24 AM   #65
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo
Mr. Ledyard,

I'd like to make some comments on your comments to my comments on Mary Heiny. I get the feeling that you have been careful to associate with Aikidoists of a certain level of quality. It seems to me that you are unaware of the general low quality of Aikido that exists from a martial arts standpoint. I was taught good basic Aikido technique by very kind, good people. However, the first time I heard of being aware of openings and using atemi was from Mary Heiny. I see now that this is the best basis to approach Aikido as both a martial and a spiritual art.

You have written about the number of people who approach Aikido as a spiritual art yet fail to let it allow them to become better people. I think, however, that the number of people who practice it as a martial art, yet fail to let the art allow them to become better skilled on a physical conflict level is much greater.

This is how I practiced for a number of years before encountering Mary Heiny. I think there are a large number of people reading these posts who practice as I used to. I think a very good thing for them to do would be to expose themselves to her teachings, namely buy her video. I also think that the people whom it would help the most probably aren't even aware of it.

As an example, I recently read your article on atemi. I am completely convinced that I would not have been able to understand and appreciate it to the degree that I did without having seen Mary Heiny's video and attending her seminar.

Charles