View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #74
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom
Re: Aikido as Sport: Did O'Sensei Condemn It?

Quote:
Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: View Post
It has happened throughout human history and it's unlikely to change until we rise above it mentally? Then what would we do?
Not live for decades on the precipice - wondering when the nuclear holocaust will occur, due to a nuclear arms race/competition, i'd say.

To paraphrase someone (I forget who...):

'Kindess and compassion are as much a part of human nature as cruelty and competition.'.

And there's also the immense quote, in someone's signature on here, from Martin Luther King:

'Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men.'

The point being that primitive behaviours, regardless of what they have done or been throughout human history, are no longer tenable: we have the means to annihilate - to extinct - the human race.
If we don't change soon, not only will these endless atrocities we commit against one another continue (which is bad enough in itself), but they could well escalate, culminating in the end of mankind.

That's my interpretation, anyway. I also think that the world's in a terrible state, and so continuing on with traditional methods is preposterous, if we truly wish to make the world bearable.