Thread: Aki-Jitsu
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2001, 11:09 AM   #6
Kami
Dojo: ShinToKai DoJo of AiKiDo
Smile Re: Re: AKIJUTSU(?) AND AIKIDO

[quote]PeterR wrote:
[b]Mochizuki developed a pretty eclectic system but he had major history in Judo , Karate and Aikido. This is a far cry from some guy studying a few things here and there and calling it what sells. All I can say is look deep into the background.
Ubaldo: John Steven's wrote Budo????

KAMI : You're absolutely right, Peter! In my opinion, Aikido is an eccletic style, borrowing from many MA, but it was created by a martial art genius and so it should be. It's definitely a far cry from people who "invented a new art", picking a "little here, a little there", without any real knowledge. And I also don't like when someone "invents" a new name, with a pseudo-japanese sounding name.
On another point, "BUDO", by John Stevens is not just a compilation of the old BUDO RENSHU by Ueshiba. It contains BUDO RENSHU, the complete photo sequence at Noma Dojo (where you can see clearly the influence of Yagyu Shingan Ryu in Ueshiba Kaiso's atemi)and a large introduction by Kisshomaru Ueshiba with a biography of his father.
It's a very beautiful book and everyone should buy it.
- "BUDO : Teachings of the Founder of Aikido" - ISBN 4.7700-1532-1 - US$ 23.00
Translated and edited by John Stevens - Kodansha International.
Best

"We are all teachers, and what we teach is what we need to learn, and so we teach it over and over again until we learn it".
Unknown author

Ubaldo Alcantara