View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 09:43 AM   #34
philippe willaume

United Kingdom
Re: What technique would you apply to neutralize Brazilian Jujitsu attacker

Hello
I would agree with Don, I think aikido tai-jutsu is designed to be used empty handed.
Personally I think aikido link to weapon is more than at the organic level. IE one can fine that movement that one does empty handed is the way one uses the Jo/Bokken or if we have a weapon in hand.
it is there but i think that there is a deeper connection.

As well as aikido, I practice medieval fencing and that includes empty handed, longsword spear, Messer (large knife/fashion), sword and buckler and dagger.
Please bear in mind that I only have a moderate experience in aikido and in medieval "fencing" (only 6-8 years in each.). I train at least twice in aikido a one once in medieval fencing. In aikido we do weapon every week.
There is surely plenty of thing that I miss compare to people that have done that 2 or 3 time longer than me but here it is
It seems to me that the problem people have with aikido is that the techniques do not work well in open hand context, if I can only acknowledge that some techniques should be more direct if used in "earnest", the underlying principles are very sound.

All the 15th manuscript wrestling in earnest looks more like aikido than anything else, though they have a tendency to put a koshi as often as the can. and it is a stand alone wtrestling/stiking sytem.
As well the sportier manuscript looks like bjj-judo. (And they usually appear in the 16th cent).
Regardless, for 15th cent wrestling is to be used to bypass a weapon. I.e. wrestle is engaged so that the opposition can not access his Messer/dagger or from a safe position whilst fencing with the sword or a spear (as we do in the body variation of the kumi tachi).
I think this is another way aikido related to weapon because if we assume easy access to a weapon, then attacks are much more committed and there is less jockeying for position as it gives time to access and deploy the weapon.

I see another way where aikido and weapons meets and this is at a more tactical level.
To cut it short, I can see lots of similitude between aikido and using 15th century weapons. The only difference is the timing and distance need to be adapted to open hands. It is much much easier to spar with longsword (a fencing helmet and a shinai with crossguard and here you go) than with open hands. And I found out that more than the technique in itself it is moving to the right place that is crucial.
I think it is the same with open hands.

Phil

Last edited by philippe willaume : 07-11-2007 at 09:47 AM.

One Ringeck to bring them all and in darkness bind them,
In the Land of Windsor where phlip phlop live.