View Single Post
Old 02-15-2001, 04:24 PM   #68
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Quote:
Dan Hover wrote:
more or less exaggerrated by Draeger??? that is a pretty bold statement considering just about everything we know about Koryu and the martial culture is largely owed to the path he had created and paved for us.
I wasn't belittling his accomplishments, I was saying that his his use of the do/jutsu classification was exagerrated. Just because someone accomplishes a great many things or was the first to accomplish something doesn't mean that they can't be wrong about something.

Quote:
And stumping a Japanese on the question of the difference between Budo/jutsu is about as easy as stumping someone on their own culture especially today is largely a moot point, as in most modern societies (america) being one of them we are largely ignorant of our culture and our beliefs until we are taken out of them.
Well, I'm not just talking about your average Japanese person, but about experienced Japanese martial artists, even those in traditional lineages. Western martial artists, primarily because of Donn Draeger's influence, tend to make a very clear disticinction between "jutsu" and "do". For Japanese martial artists (most of whom have probably never heard of Donn Draeger) the difference is much less clearly defined.

Quote:
It is easy to take a critcal view of Draeger now, because we as a Martial arts culture are practicing and resting on the very legacy he paved the way for us, and most not all, are igorant of his contributions to the study and the research he and others have done for us, Ellis Amdur, Miek and Diane Skoss, Larry E. Bieri, Quintan Chambers, Dave Lowry these are all Martial artists we owe a debt to.
Certainly we do. But just because we owe a debt to, for example, Issac Newton, doesn't mean that physics ends with his theories, or that he was correct on all fronts.

Best,

Chris