View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 06:56 AM   #19
Krystal Locke
United_States
Re: No, the world is not becoming a more violent place so what are you getting out of

Quote:
Yannis Mousoulis wrote: View Post
Aikido is a Martial Art. It is NOT a controlled, stylized, choreographed form of violence, used to understand other "less beautiful" forms of violence.
How is aikido not a controlled, stylized, choreographed form of violence? I know I tap a lot in class....

Quote:
Yannis Mousoulis wrote: View Post
Have you ever considered that in a world with "statistically" more trained martial artists than potential victims, "statistically" fewer people would ever dare to think of attacking, thus creating a world with "statistically" even less violence...?
The death penalty has not eliminated murder or rape. What you are basically saying is that an armed society is a polite society. I think we have a lot of counterexamples for that rule. If you want to reduce violence, reduce the causes of violence. Now, figuring out what the causes are is a trick, and figuring out how to reduce those causes is a real trick.

Some folks just want to fight. Some folks dont know exactly how good it feels to utterly dominate someone violently, and we sure as shit dont talk about that much. Some folks feel they have no options other than violence for their survival. Some people have no capacity for empathy.

Violence happens. If it is reducing, let's give the research some serious thought and find out why so we can keep doing that.