View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #2
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: My first IS experience

Quote:
Robin Boyd wrote: View Post
I recently spent 3 days training with William Gleason, predominantly looking at IS as is often described in these forums. I admit I had been curious about what Dan Harden and Chris Li et al had been talking about for some time, and I was surprised and grateful to have this opportunity. I just want to share a few of my impressions.

Firstly, I want to say that what I saw and felt was exceptional. I think this is what aikido is all about. I guess I'm ready to drink the cool aid.

Having said that, I don't think this is quite as revolutionary as some would make out. I have certainly felt and been taught elements of this sort of thing by some of my previous teachers, but not as clearly and systematically explained. And not always done as well as this.
Robin:

I am glad that you had a positive experience with those two great teachers. I do not think that you will EVER hear from either one of them that what is being taught is revolutionary. You will hear then talk about how old these teaching are. I think one of the things that makes Dan unique is in his ability to systematically organize and teach this material in a cogent package. Dan helps me pick up elements that I see in my teacher, that I was not able to fully comprehend before Dan's teaching. My seniors see the major changes in what I do and are now beginning to attend Dan's seminars as well. That about says it all....

Keep up the solo work!

Marc Abrams