View Single Post
Old 01-28-2005, 06:13 AM   #10
bogglefreak20
Dojo: Ki dojo
Slovenia
Re: Best way to learn

Well... In our dojo we talk a lot I suppose. The sensei, of course, being no exception to the custom. When he explains something or shows us a technique, we're supposed to listen and watch. But when performing with a partner, we're allowed to correct our partners.

Nevertheless, I tend to be quiet for the most part, choosing to comment on my partner's actions only if I see he/she is in a real tough-spot not knowing what to do (which way to turn, how to hold me etc.) or when he/she is repeating the same mistake over and over again.

Furthermore when I am delivering a technique, I like to be left alone and do my share of mistakes on which to learn. That means I do not appreaciate comments from my partners after every single try I make (of course I do expect them to say something if I'm hurting them or something like that). I know they're all just trying to help, but I learn more by my own wrongdoing.

What I especially do not like is being instructed by partners who have had less Aikido training than myself. I'm still a beginner, I know, but after 2 years training I do have a tiny bit more insight in Aikido in comparison to someone who just started training 4 months ago.

On the other hand I'm always grateful for comments from colleagues that have been training longer than me and of course from the sensei himself.